[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Wed Dec 3 07:47:01 PST 2003

At 07:23 AM 12/3/03 -0800, dave dorkin wrote:
>You can disagree with Noam as John Searle, Hilary
>Putnam and Quine have at one or another point but to
>say that he fails to understand "the complexity of the
>arguments about science, theory, and the philosophy of
>science as they stand in other fields" is rather
>silly. He doesnt agree with you and perhaps you fail
>to understand what his position actually is.

No. I do. I have to or, rather, feel it's my obligation to know all the various positions sociologists take on the question, "is sociology a science?" Just as I had to take a position on methodological debates in the discipline, the question of the status of the individual in various social theoretical paradigms (!!!!), and so forth. I had to rehearse all those arguments, get inside them, understand where the position I ultimately sided with was found wanting by my critics.

I think that's good scholarship. I expect others to follow suit.

I think that, if one wishes to have an opinion on what takes place in other disciplines, it sort of obligates you to understand them. E.g., I have my prejudices against "cultural studies" but I wouldn't for a minute presume to make such incredibly simplistic criticisms about it unless I gave that area of study a reasonable hearing, a sympathetic hearing. Immanent critque, not external critique. It makes your position even stronger, not weaker. (aren't you a lawyer?)

I don't see NC doing that.