[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 4 07:30:18 PST 2003

kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

>I don't see how they are a threat to anything. What's at stake if
>Judith Butler uses too much verbiage?

Rivalry in the field of cultural/political production? I know one "anti-pomo" teacher who's jealous that all the cute young dyke students have crushes on Judy. This shouldn't affect Noam, who has a massive following, but many Old Left types attribute their marginalization to the rise of more "fashionable" thinkers like Foucault. It helps that they're French, or French-inspired, so the dinosaurs can attribute their displacement to fashion and not their own out-of-touchness. Even non-out-of-touch lefties can attribute the general atmosphere of reaction not to complicated processes of power and ideology but to the fact that prominent intellectuals are lost in word games rather than doing agitprop.

Doug