[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 08:56:19 PST 2003

Besides an often fashionable careerism, one problem is that they tend to be out of the equation for most activism. A casual look at campus activity where this kind of split is more noticable is revealing.

Those students and faculty who have come up through that line are very much disinterested in many areas (especially in learning about the law or economics) or collective action. I have tons of anecdotes about this as do others. Unlike the progenitors of 'theory' some of whom had a political past and came from Europe where it was assumed no matter what you wrote, most of these people cant be bothered to do silly things like actually organize, unlike say other groups with whom I also do not agree about some more metaphysical questions (Quakers for example).

Dave

> kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:
> >I don't see how they are a threat to anything.
> What's at stake if Judith Butler uses too much
verbiage?

> Rivalry in the field of cultural/political
> production? I know one "anti-pomo" teacher who's
jealous that all the cute young dyke students have crushes on Judy. This shouldn't affect Noam, who has a

massive following, but many Old Left types attribute their marginalization to the rise of more "fashionable" thinkers like Foucault. Doug