[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 08:42:33 PST 2003

Is Chomsky being analogized to Perot? It's not that we/they think everything is completely simple rather that almost everything we CAN say that is also useful in social science is rather limited in terms of grand theory and some humility would be nice.

As posted earlier, C Wright Mills on Parsons is a good example of what many people should have been doing themselves to their own writing before holding forth. I believe you misconstrue the arguements. Why WOULD someone so bright and well informed as he think these things indeed (and not just he)? From what I have seen, most of the people attempting to trash him on this have not even 1/100th of the experience he has in science, philosophy and social science. I wonder if this isnt some way of attacking the big other or some such...(just kidding sort of)

I'm really curious to see your interview with him; please dont hold back with him.

Dave

> Because, you know, as Perot used to say, "It's just
> that simple." Everything's simple. Who needs a
theory of complexity, contradiction, and change when everything out there is obvious? Doug