[lbo-talk] Social Forum

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 4 12:21:07 PST 2003

dredmond at efn.org wrote:

>>No revolution ever came out of a weekend conference,
>

> Not at all. Conferences are where ideas undergo reprocessing into advanced
> political weaponry. That's why Capital is always organizing confabs in places
> like Davos.

Sure, cool ideas always come out of conferences. One of the more influential conference events on my own thinking was a Michael Crichton lecture at an AAAS meeting several years ago. But which revolution came out of a conference? One of the Internationals?

>>I guess they are having another one of these damn things in India next
>>year, right?
>

> That's where it *should* be taking place -- a billion people live in India,
> about a sixth of the human race. I'm abysmally ignorant about the Indian Left,
> but I do know the movements there are battling a truly carnivorous neoliberal
> capitalism, etc. -- the same monster which is rampaging across the entire
> planet. They're our brothers and sisters in this fight.

But they will be talking to the same group of leftists from North America and Europe who can afford to go to these forums. Why don't all the celebrity leftists sit India out and send some younger activists in their place?

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog) -> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"The USA PATRIOT Act (a.k.a. Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing the Appropriate Tools Required to Infiltrate and Obstruct Terrorism)

was originally named "Unarming and Stripping Americans of Freedom and Allowing Secret Cops to Intimidate Scapegoats and Minorities",

but they thought USA FASCISM didn't sound all that great."

-- Patrick Dempsey