RES: [lbo-talk] KPRF

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:22:58 PST 2003

-But I think there is a trouble here. How a party that became involved -with the oligarchs will be able to make social and economic changes? -In my opinion, the decline of our worker´s party stated when they -accepted money from big business, now they won the elections, but they -are running a very conservative economic policy. Don´t you think this -could happen with the KPRF?

Actually, I think it has already happened with the KPRF. I think that, if the KPRF were to come to power, they wouldn't be much different from the people who are already there.

Look, I am not a proponent of the KPRF. My point was to defend them from accusations that they are a bunch of fascists. They are not. They are a big bourgeois party.

My interest in the KPRF is not their platform. I personally think that Putin is the best thing to happen to Russia since sliced bread, and, if I were Russian, I would vote for United Russia. In a perfect world, I would go for Motherland, but they are not in a position to take political power. The reason the KPRF is important is that it is the only mass party in Russia, and the only one that represents anything outside of itself. It is the only possible locus for the development of meaningful democracy in Russia, in my opinion.

-It´s curious, because they actually HAD an opportunity to seize power when -Yeltsin nominated that PM that now is the leader of Union of Right Forces -(this was in 1997). The KPRF blocked its nomination two times and then -voted for him (in the West the newspapers claimed that KPRF representatives -were bribed). If they rejected him for a third time there would be new -parlamentary elections and the KPRF would have certainly won it. How did -you see that event?

I wasn't following Russia at that time -- maybe Peter knows more. I think you're referring to Boris Nemtsov? I would think bribery is a likely reason. Also, as I said before, I really don't think Zyuganov wants to be president. I think this lackluster attempt to take power may be part of the reason Sergei Glazyev left and formed Motherland.

_________________________________________________________________ Get holiday tips for festive fun. http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx