RES: RES: [lbo-talk] KPRF

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Fri Dec 5 01:44:48 PST 2003

Actually, I think it has already happened with the KPRF. I think that, if the KPRF were to come to power, they wouldn't be much different from the people who are already there.

Look, I am not a proponent of the KPRF. My point was to defend them from accusations that they are a bunch of fascists. They are not. They are a big bourgeois party.

-Agree.

My interest in the KPRF is not their platform. I personally think that Putin is the best thing to happen to Russia since sliced bread, and, if I were Russian, I would vote for United Russia. In a perfect world, I would go for Motherland, but they are not in a position to take political power. The reason the KPRF is important is that it is the only mass party in Russia, and the only one that represents anything outside of itself. It is the only possible locus for the development of meaningful democracy in Russia, in my opinion.

-What are the ideological differences between KPRF, United Russia and Mother -land. If I´ve been not misunderstanding you, it seems the three parties -have very similar programs(?)

I wasn't following Russia at that time -- maybe Peter knows more. I think you're referring to Boris Nemtsov? I would think bribery is a likely reason. Also, as I said before, I really don't think Zyuganov wants to be president. I think this lackluster attempt to take power may be part of the reason Sergei Glazyev left and formed Motherland.

-I don´t remember the details. The Brazilian press argued that there was -generalized bribing before the third attempt. However it happened 6 years -ago and maybe I´m missing something.

Alexandre