[lbo-talk] Re: The postmodern prince

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 5 16:20:26 PST 2003

Nations are real, obviously. I oppose their existence. I favor a world where people no longer define themselves with nationalism.

Meanwhile, Sprint PCS, to take one example, runs TV ads claiming its cell phone service has the best quality. Its cell phone survey actually has the worst quality, according to _Consumer Reports_. Some hundreds of thousands of people buy Sprint phones due to the ads. The ads are manipulation. No God involved or needed to make this observation of a fact.

As to corporate manipulation of self-identity, what percentage of car-buyers do you think believe some part of the proposals the car makers peddle to them about how their car is an important extension/reflection of themselves? I'd guess 50 percent. That's also manipulation and exploitation.

Cheerio.