[lbo-talk] outsourcing: a view from India

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Dec 5 18:15:12 PST 2003

Quoting Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com>:

> I do not believe we've seen a similar effort of this
> scope in India. The focus seems to be on opening huge
> service centers to develop software, process
> paperwork, answer customer calls and do a variety of
> other keyboard-monitor centric things for non-Indian
> firms exclusively.

In which case, it'd make sense for India to push Linux and open source. China seems to be trying to link high-end chip design/software skills to the industrial base, by focusing on supply chain linkages:

http://www.siliconstrategies.com/article/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=PZZHITUVVKL3YQSNDBCSKHQ?articleId=16600199

(Note Silicon Strategies now requires a login, though registration is free.)

-- DRR