[lbo-talk] Left Writers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 6 10:09:15 PST 2003

The list of writers below is a random selection done quickly. Because "left writing" necessarily includes an extremely broad range of genres -books reviews, for example - I have included writers who I know only as reviewers simply to suggest that when anyone starts to either praise or blame a domain as large as that of "left writers," they ought to pause to contemplate the extent of that domain. My general impression over the last 35 years is that left writing is, on the whole, and as a generalization, better than liberal or conservative writing. And I note in this connection that the few (very very few) examples given by the sneering-mob are rather clustered in several rather small islands (Z-Magazine, the liberal Nation, a few journalists, etc.). Before the 'critique' could be very persuasive it would have to at least sample a larger realms and not consist of merely personal impressions.

Carrol

Asterisks indicate that a sample of the writer is given below.

A List of leftists who write well:

Bruce Franklin Stephanie Coontz Lise Vogel Amira Baraka Peter Linebaugh Carolyn Forche Gabriel Gudding Richard Lewontin Barbara Foley Jesse Lemisch Max Elbaum W. D. Ehrhart Malini Srinivasan* Paul Buhle Bertell Ollman Stan Goff Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz Angela Gilliam** Ellen Meiksins Wood Jeffrey Blum Jim Devine Michael Yates Doug Dowd William Hinton Jan Carew Manning Marable Barbara Jeanne Fields Alan Wald Vinay Lal A. Sivanandan

*Rural labourers, poor women, Untouchables, the "wretched of the earth": their lives are discussed, their votes are counted, and their practices theorised by academics in ivory towers. They are subjects of study and politics but rarely approached as human beings.

Viranna: life of an Untouchable is an oral history, told by Viramma herself, a Pariah (English/Portuguese/French rendering of Paraiyar: the largist caste of Dalits in Tamil-speaking areas) woman, singer, mother, midwife and agricultural labourer in Tamil Nadu, southern India. It is an insight into the joys and struggles of her life without the filter of academic theory. . . .

**So, whether one likes it or not, our [black female anthropolists] academic work is constrained by the historical fight for full citizenship. Though such a battle has been primarily a struggle for "equal access," nonetheless many have nurtured a vicion of national transformatio as well. In addition, the black scholar has the double burden of creating a theoretical discourse of opposition within the field, one that will be at least taken seriously by other scholars. Yet these two purposes are usually at odds.

Moreover, the work that black feminist anthropologists do is focused towards bridging a complex gap between male dominance in the community-wide struggle against racism and white female dominance in the battle against sexism. Often the issues of international power and unequal economic relations have been inserted by black feminist scholars. . . .

(William Hinton & H. Bruce Franklin have produced which were obvious classics from the day of their appearance. Possibly the same should be said of Peter Linebaugh. I have not read A. Sivandan's, _When Memory Dies_, but see the review in _Race and Class_ [April-June 1997] by Victor Anant & the samples quoted there.)