[lbo-talk] Left Writers

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 13:16:57 PST 2003

Some of these below I agree with, some I havent read, and some I disagree.

In particular, I find Amira Baraka's writing to be horrible. Definitely would put Ntozake Shange in his place.

How about Norman Mailer, Carl Sagan, Michio Kaku? How about the "early" Christopher Hitchens?

With all due respect to Max Elbaum for having done a good job researching, "Revolution in the Air", I can't say that his writing is that good. I found Tim Wohlforth's account of the trotskyist movement (more or less corresponding to the same period) to be much better written. However, neither are great.

Of course, there are many more writers to talk about, so I am interested in hearing what other "Left" writers of the past 35 years people like.

-Thomas --- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Asterisks indicate that a sample of the writer is
> given below.
>
> A List of leftists who write well:
>
> Bruce Franklin
> Stephanie Coontz