[lbo-talk] Review of Hitchens and Ali

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 13:28:53 PST 2003

--- dave dorkin <ddorkin1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have to say how appalling it is to see persons on
> a left list comment on someone like Tariq Ali in
this
> manner. These lists which are archived are there
> for the world to see. I'd hate for it to see this
kind of "discourse."

Perhaps you can explain WHY you would hate to have the world see the below. I think this point of view is legitimate, even though it does perhaps resort to hyperbole to make the point: neither Hitchens nor Ali discern the nuances of the situation. They both generalize. Hitchens thinks anybody who combats the religious fanatics is good. Ali thinks anybody who opposes the US occupation is good. Aren't things a bit more complex than that?

-Thomas