[lbo-talk] Review of Hitchens and Ali

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 10:43:14 PST 2003

DDorkin:

> I have a difficult time believing that you are serious
> when asking if Ali is beyond criticism. Of course he
> isnt (no one is) but have a look at the "criticism"
> here and how was it voiced. I didnt see anything
> vaguely resembling a close textual analysis or
> critique but an attack on his ego, by which standard I
> can "criticise" anyone and everyone willy nilly with
> no need for support.

Some people believe that other people are beyond criticism, so I thought I'd ask if you were one. You're not.

I offered my, admittedly brief, opinion on Ali, c. 2002-3, and left it at that. You want a "close textual analysis" of his work by me? Fine, so long as I get paid to do it.

> Tariq Ali isnt some poor ignorant schmuck to be
> written off like that whatever his faults.

No, Ali isn't ignorant, but he is a schmuck, in my view. He offers little more than 60s Left boilerplate at a very complex and different time. And his free association with ANSWER doesn't help.

DP