[lbo-talk] Hitchens finds missing WMD

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 09:20:26 PST 2003

Chuck0 posted:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=11181

=========

And with this, written after the destructive outcome of the invasion of Iraq is clear to all who choose to see, Mr. Hitchens officially walks through the looking glass, passing from the world of *al qaeda-is-a-threat-so-something must-be-done, to a realm entirely divorced from reality.

The *al qaeda threat world* is not entirely real and is used as a sort of threat-colored filter to justify aggression but at least its foundation was an actual terrorist act.

This *everything's all right with the occupation* world he's living in now is just a perverse flight of fancy.

I can imagine another alternate reality: one in which Hitchens, who obviously sees himself as a cosmopolitan westerner opposed to (in his view) modern primitives, could critique both the ideological follies and violent criminality of Jihadis while simultaneously seeing the Bush admininstration's actions as the counter-criminality they are.

In this fantasy, Hitchens deconstructs the globalized mob war we're now witnessing with a sharp wit, a crisp style and a fully functioning bullshit meter.

To see him reduced to parroting Bush admin propaganda, writing without panache and published in Frontpage, a publication about which the less said the better, is sad indeed.

DRM