[lbo-talk] Beaten Black Man's Death a Homicide (Cincinnati)

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 8 12:14:51 PST 2003

> Wojtek wrote:
>
> There is prejudice and there is behavior feeding into
> that prejudice. For this reason, I think
> organizations like NAACP have a special responsibility
> to popularize images of black people that defy
> stereotypes - like doctors, lawyers, teachers,
> academics, and other professional types.

This is the voice of Booker T. Washington: "Never mind the objective political economic conditions. Let's all be me and show the world how mainstream we are. Then, they'll help us."

Bunk. 21st-century racism is 95 percent a by-product of class structures built in the past four centuries. Change the employment and income situation, and our grandchildren will treat each other well. Fail to change them, and our grandkids will be repeating these hopeless tropes about role-models, etc.

"We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed." MLK, "Letter from Birmingham City Jail"