[lbo-talk] please, ralph, NOOO!!!

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 22:29:49 PST 2003

No! No! No1 No! No!

I do NOT think figuring out how to consolidate votes is trivially eas. I emphatically do not think that premature consolidation around unpalatable compromises is the way to convince people that voting means something. In fact, I think giving people effectively no choice is an excellent way to turn OFF more people than might be voting for the 1-2% candidate.

Furthermore, I think that targetted get the vote registered, get the vote out campaigns are actually easier than suppressing my gag reflex in the name of solidarity over things I do not beieve in. And I think generating raw numbers can also test the mettle of the small candidates. Either they also address the problem of convincing people to actually get out to vote or they risk getting swmaped by other forces.

Under this scenario, not only do new voters enter the system but there is organized resistance to total narrowing nad constriction in people's sense of political choices! An thus greater space is created in mny political conversations.

But maybe I am just starry-eyed /-)

DoreneC