[lbo-talk] Re: the postmodern prince

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 9 12:07:14 PST 2003

>Hmm, a different context. Getting along in academia means sucking up
>to The Man, when instead all The Excluded should be sticking
>together (not that they necessarily have much in common other than
>being excluded). So does this mean that black lesbian academics
>should't strive for tenure? I'm confused.
>
>Doug

Audre Lorde wasn't giving a workshop on academic career advancement when she delivered her talk "Age, Race, Class, and Sex: Women Redefining Difference," from which the misunderstood quotation came. Her primary audience for the occasion was feminist women (especially feminist scholars, students, and activists who showed up at her talk at Amherst College), and she was mainly addressing the topic of how feminist women interested in social change might go about building solidarity across differences that are historical products of oppression and exploitation. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>