[lbo-talk] Re: the postmodern prince

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 9 12:26:46 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>>Hmm, a different context. Getting along in academia means sucking
>>up to The Man, when instead all The Excluded should be sticking
>>together (not that they necessarily have much in common other than
>>being excluded). So does this mean that black lesbian academics
>>should't strive for tenure? I'm confused.
>>
>>Doug
>
>Audre Lorde wasn't giving a workshop on academic career advancement
>when she delivered her talk "Age, Race, Class, and Sex: Women
>Redefining Difference,"

But that wasn't the version I was responding to that Jenny Brown quoted. It read:

>"Those of us who stand outside the circle of this society's
>definition of acceptable women; those of us who have been forged in
>the crucibles of difference-those of us who are poor, who are
>lesbians, who are Black, who are older-know that survival is not an
>academic skill. It is learning how to stand alone, unpopular and
>sometimes reviled, and how to make common cause with those others
>identified as outside the structures in order to define and seek a
>world in which we can all flourish. It is learning how to take our
>differences and make them strengths. For the master's tools will
>never dismantle the master's house. They may allow us temporarily to
>beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring
>about genuine change. And this fact is only threatening to those
>women who still define the master's house as their only source of
>support." (Lorde, 1979.)

The "academic skill" reference made me suspect it was aimed at a more academic audience. I don't have the full text at hand, but I'll pick a version up soon.

In the meanwhile, I came across this interesting quote, in a bit of Google serendipity:

<http://africaresource.com/vbpro/war21/entries.html>