[lbo-talk] taft

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 08:46:03 PST 2003

> I'm an absolutist about the First Amendment, but the
> left is mostly blowing
> smoke out its ass about repression in this war. We
> are not being
> suppressed. You want suppression? Check out
> resisters to WWI.

Well, compared to resisters in WWI (especially) and to a lesser extent in WWII, and even to some extent in Vietnam, where the SSA was deliberately drafting antiwar leaders (see Kirkpatryick Sale's SDS on this), sure. But that does not mean there has not been repression. I have been a legal observer and participant in marcges in Chicago wherew ere were surrounded with serried ranks -- that is plural, _ranks_ -- of cops in full riot gear who hemmed in our marches; and there was rhe litrle incident in March when the cops trapped and illegally detailed at least 3,000-5,000 people in the Mag Mile, and arrested about 500 of them, beating many savagely. The last charges were dismissed a month or so ago due in part to the work of Guild lawyers, and there is a big police brutality suit underway. So there is real repression, although people are only being beaten and not yet sentenced to prison for antiwar activity.

The real heavy repression is of course directed against Muslims,a bd embodied in executive ordersm illegal detentions without counsel, prosecutions of lawyrers (Lynn Stewart), confiscation of property, holding thoubsands on material witness warrants, and the USA Patriot Act.

jks