[lbo-talk] taft

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Dec 9 22:07:30 PST 2003

there's a difference between talking up someone and quoting him, michael. i'm not talking up taft. he's mr conservative of his day. the trent lott of the early 20th century. the goldwater before barry goldwater. what i'm pointing out is that Mr Far Right approved of criticizing the govt during time of war; something the democrats today had a hard time doing until someone slipped their leashes a notch or two a few months ago.

as for WW II, i'd agree with howard zinn. WW II could have, and should have, been prevented. rather than "talk up" WW II, to use your phrase, i'd prefer to approach it from zinn's perspective.

WW I was one of several causative factors of WW II. and racist, anti leftist, warmongering, democrat Woodrow Wilson, with his nonsense about making the world safe for democracy while he did all in his power to destroy it in the USA, is a role model for and antecedent of shrub, ashcroft, et al. in the finest american tradition, collectively congress backed him.

you're right: we don't have suppression like that today. there's nothing to suppress. where are eugene debs, the wobblies, an anti-war movement that's against all US wars including those in columbia, the philippines, et al, when we need them? the american people are on a long vacation, still believing ronald reagan was right when he told them not to worry because things would all take care of themselves.

also, the kind of suppression you're alluding to isn't necessary due to the world's largest, most powerful, most effective propaganda machine. and the most indifferent, passive, depressed, cowardly, uninformed, self centered, unmotivated electorate in the western world.

but rest assured, should what the founding fathers term the "beast" awaken, suppression equaling, and likely exceeding, anything seen during WW I, WW II and after, will meet it with both barrels. don't for a moment think the right wing, and its middle road fellow travelers, haven't thought of the possibility, aren't ready for it, and aren't looking forward to it with relish. nothing would more firmly embed shrub, and people like him, in the american fabric than something domestic and challenging to suppress.

between you and me and the list, i'm not an absolutist about anything except absolutism. it's too much like not thinking.