[lbo-talk] Al Gore's Judas Kiss

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 11 01:04:30 PST 2003

Shane Mage wrote:

Stop with the Antisemitism. No word in any language

has contributed more to the central "deicide" blood libel.

Stop with the Antisemitism!

I assume you are talking about the phrase "Judas kiss"?

If not, try to be more explicit when doing a mini-rant? I was forced to re-read that _boneheaded_ article because I was trying to make sure whatever the hell you were talking about.

Did I miss the reason for the "central 'deicide' blood libel" stuff?

The article writer is unsophisticated (that is, in his own corner, isolated and unaware of the feelings of others), agreed, but I don't see any antisemitism.

As a recovering Catholic, the Judas metaphor has nothing to do with Jews. They were _all_ Jews. The only smart one was Pilate.

It isn't the faith, it's the principle of sticking together. Ben Franklin said something similar: "We hang together, or we hang separately." (I paraphrase.) What was he? Presbyterian? I don't know and don't care.

Turn that historical fact about Judas into anti-semitism... and... next you'll be telling me an anti-semite really DID overcook Uncle Leo's hamburger on Seinfeld.

Ken.

-- To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

-- Cicero