[lbo-talk] Re: arranged marriages (was surveys prove men dumb, women smart)

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 11 09:42:33 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>At one level the confusion is between feelings of love
>and intimacy and a social institution of marriage. People
>fall in love and want to express or confirm their emotions
>by entering into what is essentially a business contract.

Well said.

That is exactly what it is, the marriage part.

It is not something sanctified by god, because government is not in the god business. (And should never be.) Leftover crap from the religious social safety net era.

Here in Canada, the Supreme Court will soon deliver an opinion on same-sex union. In the US, there have been reports of the Halpern decision by Ontario's Court of Appeal. That's not the final court.

But I can't see how it will be anything but another nail in the coffin of "marriage" and state support for "whatever-the-hell-you-want" union (like a business contract).

The only important thing (government wise) is the responsibility for support and related taxes (relative to the situation).

The rest is whatever gets you through the night.

Ken.

-- Every time that I sell myself to you, I feel a little bit cheaper than I need to.

-- Hole