[lbo-talk] Re: arranged marriages (was surveys prove men dumb, women smart)

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 11 10:28:46 PST 2003

> That solution would also solve the confusion regarding homosexual
> marriages, group marriages, etc., which again stems from mixing
> subjective interpretations with legal contracts. Anyone could enter a
> legally sanctioned civil union contract - including two or more people
> of same or different sex - but in order to be "married" as defined by
> this or that religious tradition, they would need to file a separate
> application to a religious or cultural institution that hold the copy
> rights to bestowing that particular title.
>
> That would eliminate a lot of nonsensical and pointless cultural wars
> that now pollute public debates in this country.
>
> Wojtek

Apparently, it's quite a good thing that the left has abandoned this topic to the right. Judging by this whole thread, we don't really differ from them.

So, you'd force people wanting marriage into the arms of religion? You think detailed behavioral contracts would help, not hurt? You think the divorce revolution is a bad thing? You talk about marriages and families as if they're self-contained and not part of a wider society and its immense problems? You say nothing at all about European-style family support programs? You think gays demanding equal marital rights is a form of cultural pollution?

Awful and wrong, from top to bottom.