[lbo-talk] Jobless Claims Up Unexpectedly Last Week

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Dec 11 21:01:11 PST 2003

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 09:59 AM, Dwayne Monroe quoted:

> Source URL - (Yahoo!) http://tinyurl.com/yre1

[snip]
> A closely watched four-week average of claims, which
> smooths weekly volatility, rose 2,250 to 364,750.

One thing I've always wondered about economic journalism, which the economic gurus on the list might clear up for me:

What exactly does "closely watched" mean? Somehow, I get this image of a bunch of near-sighted accountants pulling off their green eye-shades and putting their noses right on the "closely watched" whatever-it-is.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax