[lbo-talk] Soviet kitsch

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:49:48 PST 2003

Way back when, there was some discussion of Soviet pop music (some of which was awful, some of which was heart-rendingly beautiful). So I recommend this CD.

Marc Almond is in Moscow so often that I thought he lived there:

Soviet Golden Oldies Go West

By Anna Malpas

Mike Solovyanov / MT

Marc Almond visits Russia so often that he's got a multi-entry visa, and even gets followed by over-enthusiastic fans.

The tattoos and silver rings are still there, and even a touch of makeup. But British pop star Marc Almond is now singing from a song-sheet very different from his "Tainted Love" heyday.

Painstakingly mastering Russian pronunciation, Almond has recorded an album of romantic ballads and wartime songs that he hopes will introduce such Soviet-era greats as Alla Bayanova and Mark Bernes to a western audience.

The album, "Heart On Snow," released last month in Europe, is a far cry from the Soft Cell vocalist's more flamboyant past. But Almond was one of the first western musicians to tour post-Soviet Russia in 1992, and has visited numerous times since.

http://www.tmtmetropolis.ru/metropolis/stories/2003/12/11/106.html

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year — six months @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup