[lbo-talk] master's tools

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 11:17:25 PST 2003

On 12/12/03 7:02 pm, "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> No, the chain (of oppression) is adorned with flowers
> (of religion, spirituality, comfort). Marx wants to
> move religious delusion, not so that people will have
> bear oppression without consoaltion, but so that they
> can enjoy spirituality, comfort, and the flowers of
> life --a metaphor for what is beautiful and happy --
> without it merely being delusive consolution for
> oppressive conditions.

The sentence I like on this page comes a few lines later:

"I may negate powdered wigs, but I am still left with unpowdered wigs".

Curiously, this sentence is omitted from the text printed at <http://marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/critique-hpr/intro.htm>, though it appears in the various printed editions I have (though MECW has "pigtails" instead of "wigs": can any of the Germanists here offer any insight?).

Chris