[lbo-talk] re Neocons Lose to the Main Enemy

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 14:32:51 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Philion" <philion at hawaii.edu>

> Ian writes:
> Can we get beyond the idea that capital is foreign or domestic already?
>
> --and the recent conflicts over steel tariffs, currency
revaluations,...just
> an imaginary phenomenon? the limits still placed on non-Chinese
investors in
> Chinese markets? the perspective of Chinese companies and, say, the
American
> Chamber of Commerce on pace of tariff removals (if tariff isn't a
> controversial term)...all the same...one happy international capitalist
> family

=============================

The Unofficial Paul Krugman Archive http://www.pkarchive.org/

I would suggest multiple readings of:

Competitiveness: A Dangerous Obsession- 6.95

A Country Is Not a Company - 2.96

If we are going be to the left of liberals, we're going to have to be even more cosmopolitan than they are and expose all the hypocricies of free trade fig leaf users.

"[F]rom the point of view of technology - through which the average skill level of a group of people is assumed to affect the productivity of each individual within the group, a *national* economy is a completely arbitrary unit to consider." [Robert Lucas "On the Mechanics of Economic Development"]

Add the terms organization, ecologies and law [and any more you might care to think of] to the sentence above and it's a great way to reframe the global political ecology debate of the 21st century.

> Don't get me started on the privatization [mis]signifier.............
>
> --i'd gladly agree it's used in an ideological manner by its leading
> proponents, but that changes little in the matter at hand, namely the
> tensions created as a result of pace of privatization in China...Both
the
> 'neo-cons' and the rest of the neo-liberal spectrum would like to see a
> similar outcome in China...namely the outright privatization of China's
> industry and credit institutions...Again, Taiwan's fate or human rights
have
> little to do with much of anything I'm afraid, which is what Brad seemed
> be missing out in his comments.
>
> steve

As far as I can tell, applying a neoliberal definition of privatization misspecifies what is going on with the shift of control of enterprises in China. If there are any experts in Chinese law on the list I'd love to hear from them.

Ian