[lbo-talk] RE: Hi Tea

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Dec 14 09:56:19 PST 2003

Michael Pollack wrote:

"I think that's what leaving the toilet seat up is about. It's not that women want to have one. But they get infuritated at boys who imply they ought to. And leaving the seat up seems like a childish way of taunting them while pretending you're just being objective. They feel like they're being gaslighted. That's what makes them nuts."

I think you're close -- though I'm not sure it's about penis envy. I'm either still in denial about that one, or men make a much bigger thing about it than is warranted. No. Half of it is going to the bathroom when it's dark, not noticing that the seat is up, and then sitting down on cold porcelain and then practically falling into the toilet. Not fun. The other half is walking into the bathroom in plain daylight, seeing that the seat is up, and thinking "another asshole who thinks he's the center of the universe and can't be bothered to notice anything." Now if men turned into considerate, mature beings for some appreciable length of time and then I had that thought, I would be more likely to suspect penis envy. Otherwise, not. I don't think I've ever wanted to be a man -- too lonely.

Joanna