[lbo-talk] re The trial of Saddam

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Dec 14 11:01:14 PST 2003

chuck wrote Some analyst on TV or NP this morning pointed out early on that the Iraqi resistance can now distance themselves officially from Hussein. I can't believe that the Bush administration doesn't understand this, which may be why Bush said some stuff in his address about the fight not being over.

--precisely. john mccain said as much this morning, that much of the resistance isn't linked to saddam. and i recall very well one guerilla leader's reaction to uday and kusay's then fresh deaths, stating that they'd as soon see saddam dead too, that way they could get the real war underway with the US. i.e. saddam was a burden to the resistance. surely baathists are involved in the resistance, but the extent of their involvement is pretty exaggerated, much like the "foreign terrorists" we used to hear all about who have mysteriously disappeared without a trace lately... steve