[lbo-talk] RE:toilet etiquette

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 15 03:04:28 PST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, John Thornton wrote:

> If leaving seats up is an affront to sitting females isn't leaving the
> seat down equally an affront to standing males?

No. I have never met a man in my life who got bent out of shape because he had to put the seat up. Have you? It just doesn't bother us.

So that men are not affronted by it is a fact. So is it that women are. The question then becomes, Why are men not affronted by it, and women are? And with that, discussion reaches first base.

Of course lots of times people don't really want arguments like this to end because sometimes we like acting out our feelings under cover of respectable discussion. Dudgeon is sometimes very satisfying. And so is the oddly complex feeling of being totally innocent and unjustly accused and yet somehow slightly mischievous.

The same questions, the same answers, nothing like 'em.

Michael