[lbo-talk] RE:toilet etiquette

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sun Dec 14 10:29:33 PST 2003

>Michael Pollack wrote:
>
>"I think that's what leaving the toilet seat up is about. It's not that
>women want to have one. But they get infuritated at boys who imply they
>ought to. And leaving the seat up seems like a childish way of taunting
>them while pretending you're just being objective. They feel like they're
>being gaslighted. That's what makes them nuts."
>
>I think you're close -- though I'm not sure it's about penis envy. I'm
>either still in denial about that one, or men make a much bigger thing
>about it than is warranted. No. Half of it is going to the bathroom when
>it's dark, not noticing that the seat is up, and then sitting down on cold
>porcelain and then practically falling into the toilet. Not fun. The other
>half is walking into the bathroom in plain daylight, seeing that the seat
>is up, and thinking "another asshole who thinks he's the center of the
>universe and can't be bothered to notice anything." Now if men turned into
>considerate, mature beings for some appreciable length of time and then I
>had that thought, I would be more likely to suspect penis envy. Otherwise,
>not. I don't think I've ever wanted to be a man -- too lonely.
>
>Joanna

Are people really leaving toilet seats in one position or another with some ulterior motive? I should think that since males are so accustomed to using urinals that have no seat or lid that they are simply habituated into not thinking about it. Not many female urinals around. I have pets so I leave the toilet lid down to prevent any accidental drowning. Most parents I know do the same thing, to prevent that particular accident. Even without pets it just seems good manners to leave the thing closed unless you're using it. Why would anyone sit their bare ass down on anything without looking at it first? If I need to sit, even in the middle of the night, I still check to see where my bare ass is going. Is this really the point of contention that it seems to so many people? Guys, are you all leaving toilets open everywhere you go? Gals, are you really falling into seat-up toilets? If leaving seats up is an affront to sitting females isn't leaving the seat down equally an affront to standing males? Pissing on the seat is another matter completely but fortunately none of my friends are so ill mannered. Guys again, are you really pissing in toilets with the seat down and baptizing them? Shit makes this makes me feel lucky. I've never argued with family or significant others on this issue.

John Thornton