[lbo-talk] will this be like uday and kusay capture?

kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net kjkhoo at pro.SoftHome.net
Sun Dec 14 13:50:38 PST 2003

At 11:29 AM -0500 14/12/03, marc rodrigues wrote:
>But damn, I just feel like our whole take on the war and occupation
>has just been knocked flat on its ass-- maybe only temporarily-- and
>will become even more irrelevant in the face of "yea, we got him,
>we're the good guys, look at the Iraqis celebrating" triumphalism.

>To make a long story short, why do I feel so shitty about something
>I should feel happy about?

A lynch mob goes after a known murderer which a court can't get at for technical reasons. Should you feel happy about that?

I guess perhaps this serves to illustrate the extent to which the US opposition shares the basic assumptions of the US rulers. Perle understood this enough to be prepared to acknowledge the invasion was illegal, but that illegality stood in the way of morality, appealing to the vigilante in all of us.

Well, if the polls Doug mentioned are to be believed, then the day after tomorrow, there will be renewed calls for an end to the occupation and to let Iraqis settle their own affairs and establish their own political and economic system. What happens when there's a major demonstration saying that now that Saddam is gone, it's time for the US to depart as well?

Meanwhile, where's Osama b Laden? Does Saddam Hussein's capture mean that more Americans can feel more safe -- as distinct from feeling good about having done the "moral thing"?

Anyway, a reason to feel good about it is that, now perhaps we might have less of left-bashing here when the call to end the occupation goes up. Although, perhaps that might not be a good idea after all -- idle minds and idle armies, and all that...

kj khoo