[lbo-talk] Fake left (was More on the global capitalist crisis)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 15 07:35:34 PST 2003

Tahir Wood wrote:

>Joseph Wanzala quoted Loren Goldner:
>>fake left
>When I see this phrase I usually conclude the author has only a
>tangential relationship with reality. What is this left currency
>that's valuable enough to be worth counterfeiting? Who's being
>tricked or co-opted? And where is the authentic revolutionary
>alternative?
>Doug
>
>Personally I can't remember ever having seen this exact phrase
>before, but knowing Loren Goldner and his (to me) very impressive
>body of work, I can more or less imagine what he meant by this
>expression. It could mean any form of capitalist ideology that
>portrays itself as anti-capitalism.

I've come across the term mainly in Spartacist literature - it's one of Workers Vanguard's favorite characterizations of other Trot groups, esp their arch enemy, the ISO, whom they spend more time hating than they do hating the capitalists. So I associate it with the sectarian impulse. Applying it to the likes of George Soros strikes me as ludicrous.

Doug