[lbo-talk] Fake left (was More on the global capitalist crisis)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 15 07:39:29 PST 2003

Tahir Wood wrote:

>Loren Goldner and his (to me) very impressive body of work

What do you find impressive about it?

>"Where is the authentic revolutionary alternative?" Well this is
>obviously a a rhetorical question, which is intended to suggest that
>there can be no such thing. Is that your position?

I don't see much of one right now - not in the intellectual sense, but the organizational. Where's the active and/or growing and/or dynamic revolutionary movement that the "fake left" is counterfeiting or co-opting?

> If you regard as equal everything that has ever portrayed itself as
>being of the left, then say so. Personally I don't regard Stalin,
>Pol Pot, Tony Blair, Jess Jackson or Thabo Mbeki as being various
>parts of a revolutionary alternative. Maybe you do?

No to all of them.

> And that brings you into a more intimate relationship with reality itself?

I think the in-touch-with-reality position is that there isn't much of a revolutionary movement right now. Do you disagree?

Doug