[lbo-talk] Re: talking 'bout revolution (was Fake left) (was More on the global capitalist crisis)

mullah_omar at email.it mullah_omar at email.it
Mon Dec 15 11:16:46 PST 2003

I don't know. I expect that such movements are known almost only by those who take part in it, because usually they don't take much media coverage. Anyway, from a structuralist point of view, I am also interested in if there are conditions and trends which might conduce to a sociopolitical change which may be classified as a revolution in the US of A. Particularly, if we consider two very general and basic necessary conditions of revolutions, that is, (a.) a lose of control by ruling elites and (b) an increasing refuse of such control by the ruled, I expect at least a lot of (a) in the next future... (we could debate a lot on what and why) Regarding (b), I expect that the relative size of dissatisfied and disgruntled among US population will continue to grow, following the trend in income distribution. All the differences considered, have you noted how a left wing party born out of nothing 20 years ago took the power in Brazil (the fact that it seems growingly oriented toward neoliberal policies is another matter). Of course, these trends may also result in growth of fascist attitudes, but in any case the situation seems very open and unstable for me.