[lbo-talk] Saddam Caught

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 15 08:02:25 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Brian:
>

>>(Side note. I was at a science fiction convention this weekend, and I
>>heard the news about Saddam's capture as follows. 'They caught Saddam
>>Hussein. you know what this means? Four more years of Bush.' Sort of a
>>myopic comment, IMHO. Personally, I'm glad they caught the fucker, and
>>Bush can still be beaten. On the brighter side, I met Harry Harrison.)
>>

>WS: What is it REALLY means is more of the sickening US triumphalism.
>When I heard about capturing Mr. Hussein I too thought that the Bush
>gang will use it for propaganda purposes, and decided to counter that by
>contributing money to Mr. Dean's campaign.

Well, one has to admit, the U.S. _did_ triumph on the issue of capturing Saddam Hussein. Took a while, but it got done.

But the point is this. Yes, bad people here in the States will use the capture of Saddam for base political purposes. They may even succeed at doing so. But the fact is that a _murderous dictator_ has been toppled from power, his equally murderous sons have been eliminated, and the dictator will in all likelihood face a trial in an internationalist court for his crimes.

It's a bit like bitching about the moon landing. Yes, there is poverty and war and starvation here on Earth, but it was a magnificent accomplishment, a major event in world history, and _pretty fuckin' neat_.