[lbo-talk] Saddam Caught

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 15 06:51:08 PST 2003

Brian:
> (Side note. I was at a science fiction convention this weekend, and I
> heard the news about Saddam's capture as follows. 'They caught Saddam
> Hussein. you know what this means? Four more years of Bush.' Sort of a
> myopic comment, IMHO. Personally, I'm glad they caught the fucker, and
> Bush can still be beaten. On the brighter side, I met Harry Harrison.)

WS: What is it REALLY means is more of the sickening US triumphalism. When I heard about capturing Mr. Hussein I too thought that the Bush gang will use it for propaganda purposes, and decided to counter that by contributing money to Mr. Dean's campaign.

Today I visited Mr. Dean's campaign to make a contribution, and below I attached what I have found: more self-righteous crap about American leadership, American exceptionalism, America example to the rest of the world.

Well, one response to that is "Fuck you Mr. Dean, and fuck your America. Why could not you be more modest in your statements, speaking more softly instead of making bombastic statements about the supposed glory and superiority of the United States. After all, why should anyone be impressed by a country with Third-World social inequalities, antiquated and fundamentally unfair political system, grossly inadequate public services, inaccessible health care, unchecked corporate rule and fascist labor laws, hideous suburban sprawl, decaying cities, atrocious ground transportation, and substandard standards of living, a country full of arrogant, racist, self-righteous bigots and politicians and public figures pandering to that self-righteousness, idiotic unreflective culture infatuated with raw power and mindless violence and high from adrenaline rush, a country that imports almost everything and its major export is war materiel and war itself. This is how your country is perceived by most outsiders, and it is not Bush who is responsible for that perception, but the clearly visible qualities of the American society themselves."

In the end, I decided to keep my money. I am going to Europe in the winter holidays, and I will need it there.

Wojtek

---------------------

Excerpts from Dean's webpage:

I believe that the United States has a special role to play in world affairs. We have long been an inspiration to all those around the world seeking democracy, freedom and opportunity.

We have shaped our own destiny and set an example for the world that through hard work every obstacle can be overcome.

Every candidate who seeks to lead America must keep this inspiration alive. ....... Americans are ready, I believe, to restore the best traditions of American leadership. Leadership in which our power is multiplied by the appeal of democratic ideals and by the knowledge that our country is a force for law around the world, not a law unto itself.

America became America by rebelling against imperial power.

America emerged from isolation to greatness by beating fascist power.

America became synonymous with justice by supporting independence for colonies from an imperial world.

America's ideals triumphed when it confronted communism to the point of extinction.

America is not Rome. We do not dream of empire. We dream of liberty for all.

Statement by Governor Dean on the Capture of Saddam Hussein

Dec. 14, 2003, WEST PALM BEACH-- Governor Dean issued the following statement this morning:

"This is a great day for the Iraqi people, the US, and the international community.

"Our troops are to be congratulated on carrying out this mission with the skill and dedication we have come to know of them.

"This development provides an enormous opportunity to set a new course and take the American label off the war. We must do everything possible to bring the UN, NATO, and other members of the international community back into this effort.

"Now that the dictator is captured, we must also accelerate the transition from occupation to full Iraqi sovereignty."