[lbo-talk] re Saddam captured

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 00:08:06 PST 2003

--- Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> wrote:
> FREE Saddam Hussein.
>
> Yup, Dennis.
> ------------------------------

Wait a minute. The question is not THAT easy. Was Saddam a dictator? Yes, he was. Do I grieve over Saddam? No. But it seems important to consider WHO took him out and WHO is trying him.

This is a very complex situation, and while Macdonald Stainsby's below position is the usual simplistic leninist response, so is just saying "Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead"...or in this case "captured".

It is NOT the Iraqi people who overthrew Saddam, even though they might have liked to do so. It is not the Iraqi people who are putting him on trial, though they might like to. It is the United States who overthrew him and who are putting him on trial. What do we say about that? That there is a silver lining in every cloud...that this is something good (getting rid of SaddamO that is a result of something bad (a US invasion). It's a question to condsider long and hard...and I will be doing so over the next few days and weeks. You may be sliding closer to Christopher Hitchen's position than you think. I am not really accusing anyone, but this situation is MUCH too complex to be complacent with your hatred of Saddam (which I share with you). One vicious dictator was taken out by another repressive force. What does it mean when the main actors on the stage are dictators, imperialists cum "liberators" and religious fanatics? What a set to choose from and indeed we should not choose from that set. -Thomas