[lbo-talk] Fw: [DemocraticLeft] Why Zizek Can Not Be Taken Seriously

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Dec 16 08:00:53 PST 2003

Leo Casey wrote:
> Read the last paragraph of this New York Times
> article. This from the man who polemicizes on the need
> to return to Leninism, as Leninism's "total project"
> is indispensable to the revolutionary pose.

No, he spoke of "repeating Lenin," not the same thing as a literally revival of Leninism.

> Theory Is Finished
> By CHRISTOPHER SHEA

> Finally, in a move seemingly designed to underscore
> theory's frivolousness and political irrelevance,
> Slavoj Zizek, an ebullient star in the field, wrote
> theoretically inflected catalog copy for the "Back to
> School 2003" issue of the Abercrombie & Fitch
> Quarterly.

When it was originally mentioned here:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20030707/0173 42.html>

... this was his response:

> But Zizek bristled at the suggestion that there was anything
> unseemly about an internationally renowned intellectual
> writing copy for a clothing catalog. ''If I were asked to choose
> between doing things like this to earn money and becoming
> fully employed as an American academic, kissing
> [EXPLETIVE] to get a tenured post,'' he growled, ''I would with
> pleasure choose writing for such journals!''

Why not?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!