[lbo-talk] Saddam Caught

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue Dec 16 08:23:52 PST 2003

On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 01:08 AM, Shane Mage wrote:

> This would not have been inaccurate if it had said:
> "Of course, U.S.-ans are especially obnoxious about this patriotism
> thing, but that's just the way they are, and have been since French
> soldiers and sailors commanded by De Grasse, Rochambeau, and the
> Marquis de la
> Fayette pushed King George's redcoats out for them"

Thanks for the correction. You're probably closer to the truth than I was; haven't reviewed my late 18th-century U.S. history lately. I guess there is a school of historical thought that sees the American Revolution as a relatively minor skirmish in the Brit-French wars.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt