[lbo-talk] be serious (was Why Zizek Can Not Be Taken Seriously)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Dec 16 11:13:50 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> What I do not like about Zizek has not as much to do with
> the man himself, as with his position in society. He is
> essentially a jester in the court of literary bourgeoisie, an
> entertainer writing amusing stories about and for the
> wealthy US literati. Not that his observations and stories
> are inaccurate, but they are more flirtatious and teasing
> than critical and challenging.

Wojtek, you say jester as if it's a bad thing! Harlan Ellison is a jester, one I've admired for years. He's also a wonderful short story writer and essayist from whom I've learned a good deal.

... Actually, what you say above would apply to no less to H.L. Mencken. And neither of us would chuck him.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!