[lbo-talk] A Show Trial (was Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 17 08:16:40 PST 2003

Brian wrote:

>But there's nothing to prevent the American people from demanding
>it, outside of our own apathy and disinterest.

Activists can certainly organize a mock war tribunal that tries both Saddam Hussein and US politicians (both Republican and Democratic), staged simultaneously as whatever trial the US government may bring Hussein to -- perhaps next June? Activists have plenty of time to prepare for a mock show trial to fight a real show trial. The idea may be also used for protests at the Democratic (July 26-29, 2004, Boston, <http://maineindymedia.org/newswire/display/554/index.php>) and Republican National Conventions (August 30-September 2, NYC, a protest planned on Sunday, August 29, etc. <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=1810>, <http://www.rncnotwelcome.org/>, <http://www.counterconvention.org/>). If you think that the idea may work, call United for Peace and Justice at (212) 868-5545 and tell the coalition to adopt it. You can also contact Leslie Cagan (UFPJ National Coordinator), Bill Fletcher, Jr. (UFPJ National Co-Chair), Lisa Fithian (UFPJ National Co-Chair), Bob Wing (UFPJ National Co-Chair), and Hany Khalil (UFPJ Mobilizing Coordinator). -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>