[lbo-talk] A Show Trial (was Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 17 08:46:47 PST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:16:40 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Activists can...

Or CANNOT...

------- Forwarded message ------- From: Ted Glick <indpol at igc.org> To: <ufpj-elect at yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [ufpj-elect] Elections wk gp call this week? Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:40:38 -0500

It has to be said: both Amy Quinn and I both said that our organizations were prepared to offer staff time. That wasn't enough for those in opposition to this idea. They said there had to be national staff in the UFPJ office working on it and that those of us supporting this would, in essence, have to raise money for such staff before they would be willing to consider it.

I also find it puzzling that there's more than enough energy to do the extensive series of mobilizations and demonstrations planned over the course of the year but not for a national meeting where there would be 1-2 reps. from each locality where a local people's agenda would be put together. That could mean a meeting of as few as 75-100 people. The person chairing the meeting, at one point in the back and forth, actually called this meeting a "people's convention," which we had dropped months ago.

Bottom line: there is strong resistance to this idea from several key people within UFPJ leadership, particularly Leslie Cagan. I find that to be unfortunate and a disappointment. As George Martin from Milwaukee said very eloquently, to paraphrase, "we're missing a real opportunity here to connect up with groups working around issues of education, jobs, health care, etc."

Ted

----- Original Message ----- From: <vgosse at fandm.edu> To: <ufpj-elect at yahoogroups.com>; "Al Fishman" <almarge at worldnet.att.net> Cc: <ufpj-elect at yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:26 AM Subject: Re: [ufpj-elect] Elections wk gp call this week?

> It didn't reject, Al. It sent it back to see if another
proposal could be
> crafted, since there was a division the SC did not feel
like resolving up or
> down. The concerns were the same as before--way too much
work for us to host a
> national meeting etc, that agenda-setting of this sort if
both humanly and
> politically intensive.
>
> Quoting Al Fishman <almarge at worldnet.att.net>:
>

> > I could do a short call on Wed.@ 8:30 only. With enough
notice, I could do

> > one early next week. Extremely disappointed in S.C.
rejection of People's

> > Agenda - think it's the most important activity for the
election period --

> > and beyond! With the help of Rep. John Conyers and
Cities for Peace/IPS, we

> > are on our way toward implementing the concept in
Southeast Michigan to

> > start, then in other areas in Mich. Because there are
other key states in

> > addition to Mich., the Congressman is willing -- if we
are successful

> > here -- to find willing local enthusiasts in nearby
critical states. What on

> > earth is the S.C. thinking?
> >

> > Al Fishman

last weekend in

> > > New York City. The Backbone theme for Democratic
convention actions

> > > was not supported, nor was the Peoples Agenda/Town
hall meeting

> > > process as currently configured. There is still
support for actions

> > > at both conventions but the specifics remain
undefined.

> > > I consulted with some of you and we felt a call was
important this

> > > week before folks start trickling away for the
holidays. We apologize

> > > for the short notice but felt it was important to
touch base. I

> > > propose a call either Wednesday, Dec 17 at 8:30pm
e.s.t OR Thursday,

> > > Dec 18 at 3:00pm. e.s.t
> >
> > > Please respond today (Tuesday) by 3:30pm on which time
works better

> > > and I will put out the date and call in number this
evening.

> > > Here is a proposal on items for discussion:
> >
> > > -report back from the Steering Committee meeting on
Elections Wking

> > > Gp proposals
> >
> > > -Discussion on State of the Union events (that were
approved in the

> > > 2004 plan) and how, of if, it might fit with a larger
elections

> > > season strategy (which, in my estimation, does not
exist)

> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
Canon or Lexmark
> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to
the US & Canada.
> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/nJ9qlB/TM

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/