[lbo-talk] Saddam Hussein's Arrest and the Peace Movement

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 17 09:21:55 PST 2003

Charles Brown wrote:

>Hussein might have more "damaging" testimony about U.S. giving WMD's to
>him. I don't recall any discussion of WMD's with Noriega. Of course, I guess
>he might not want to admit that he had WMD's at his own trial. I wonder if
>he could raise a defense that the U.S. invasion was a violation of
>international law. Sort of a Habeas Corpus action, illegal search and
>seizure of Saddam.

There's just so many ways in which Saddam's trial might go. I couldn't even begin to make anything like a prediction. He might decide that the trial's just a prelude to his execution, so he might shut his mouth and devote his time to enjoying one last bully pulpit. He might decide to testify against the U.S.'s administration in the worst possible way, perhaps even making stuff up so it'll stick against Bush (or Clinton, or Bush I, or Reagan, or...) even after Saddam's in his grave. He might just _fold_, and sit in the courtroom like a zombie, just waiting for the inevitable. For all I know, the Iraqis might even decide to find him "innocent," and release him on his own recognizance... knowing that he'll be torn to shreds as soon as he steps outside. Or maybe Errol Morris'll do a film about him.