[lbo-talk] Show Trials & Sober Leftists

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 10:59:40 PST 2003

Yoshie wrote:

We are not short on sober leftists in full command of all the relevant facts, from Noam Chomsky to Phyllis Bennis. The problem is that sober leftists tend not to make great visual aids [...] So, I would argue for show trials staged like potboilers based on facts that make the audience alternately laugh and cry (like Tony Kushner's _Angels in America_) before the plots come to their ends.

Hmmmm.

This makes perfect sense. I understand your meaning.

I can imagine a series of related materials, all designed to be both entertaining and factually crisp, built upon the show trial you describe, which could bloom like sunflowers. Prolific, durable, difficult to ignore or crush.

I'm thinking of graphic novels, flash animation, mini-musicals, micro plays, tightly written narrative and other vehicles I can't think of right now.

Actually, the more I think about this, the better and more useful it looks.

DRM