[lbo-talk] re more should be would be

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:15:33 PST 2003

Doug wrote, Steve, I don't get the point of playing down Saddam's crimes. There's not much doubt that his regime was barbaric. "They did it too!" isn't that much of a defense really.

--I'd agree, there's no point playing it down, that's not what I aim to do. I do find that the crimes he committed are not what is behind this trial and that this trial, whether conducted in Iraq or outside Iraq will be little more than a show trial designed to rationalise the (illegal) American invasion and occupation of Iraq.

It's one thing (and reasonable) for you to say Saddam's regime was barbaric. It takes on entirely different significance when a Bush or Clinton cites that regimes barbarism as justification for the invasion or a trial to justify an illegal invasion.