[lbo-talk] Re: Alternative polls (and a warning on polls) on retropoll.org

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Dec 21 12:18:11 PST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Jon Johanning wrote:

> On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 12:09 AM, Brian Siano wrote:
>
> > It may be that most Democrats aren't as radical as we'd like them to
> > be.
>
> No kidding! :-)
>
> Look at the NY Times poll today which points out that a majority of
> most categories of Americans (except 18-29-year-olds) is opposed to gay
> marriage, and even allowing homosexual relations to be legal.
> Republicans: 26% favoring law allowing gay marriage, 71% against;
> Democrats: 39% favoring, 57% against; independents: 37% favoring, 58%
> against.

The real news is how quickly (historically speaking!) the support for gay marriage is growing. --Interracial marriage is a good analogue: a practice that is vilified and illegal in one historical period becomes more common and acceptable later. I know it's not much comfort now, but each generation in the U. S. is becoming more and more supportive of basic civil rights for gays, the bloviating of Christian conservatives notwithstanding.

Miles