[lbo-talk] Re: Alternative polls (and a warning on polls) on retropoll.org

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Dec 22 18:08:40 PST 2003

On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 03:18 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> The real news is how quickly (historically speaking!) the support
> for gay marriage is growing. --Interracial marriage is a good
> analogue: a practice that is vilified and illegal in one
> historical period becomes more common and acceptable later.
> I know it's not much comfort now, but each generation
> in the U. S. is becoming more and more supportive of basic
> civil rights for gays, the bloviating of Christian
> conservatives notwithstanding.

Let's hope so, but right at the moment things don't look encouraging. I'm afraid gay marriage is off the national agenda for next year at least -- the bloviating of Bush and the Xtian right will be deafening -- and only the very difficult amendment process will spare us an anti-gay-marriage constitutional amendment.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt