[lbo-talk] Atheism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 23 11:00:40 PST 2003

I've (almost) always described myself as an atheist manque' -- convinced by the atheist arguments against religiosity (and the more subtle argument about how it's a pain-killer for the people) and by the existence of God. I think I'm following christians like Thomas Aquinas who knew that there was something odd in speaking of "existence" in regard to God, who surely does not exist in the way anything else does; for Thomas, "God" is the name given to the answer (which we don't know) to the question, "Why is there anything instead of nothing?" Science accounts for how the universe is; "God" is name for the (unknown) reason why there's a universe at all. (So Aquinas concludes that he universe could be eternal.)

I'm comforted in my position as atheist manque' by reflecting that the Abrahamic religions begin in atheism and anarchism in regard to usual human religiosity. Ancient Israel rejects the "gods of the nations" and the kings who are bound up with them in the name of a figure who is not a god. (YHWH is a form of "to be/to become.") In the Hebrew bible, liberated Israel is "holy land" in the sense that the kings have been banished and YHWH alone reigns there -- therefore the task of YHWH's followers is not ritual but justice (which is what the "prophets" keep on about).

The hostility to religion and oppression that animates the bible is carried on in the New Testament (where the Kingdom of God relativizes all rulers) and the Qur'an (where "shirk" -- bowing before anything not God -- is the gravest sin). In all three Abrahamic religions idolatry is the greatest sin: at their heart is the illiberal view (quite foreign to Homer and the entire classical world) that one cannot accept other peoples' gods and the oppression that inevitably goes with them -- although of course followers of the Abrahamic religions often do so. --CGE