[lbo-talk] Roach's Macroeconomics

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 23 11:55:29 PST 2003

A commentary on Roach (who is at the bottome) from Pen-L. Moreguns Stanly keeps Roach around so that they don't appear like the complete Wall Street shills and crooks that they are. Roach, as usual, is squawking about the extreme financial imbalances:

You can forward my comments to them.

"For what its worth, I think this debate overlooks a critical consideration: Europe and Japan are wealthy countries that have dragged their feet endlessly on reforms, whereas China is still a very poor country that has been aggressive in embracing reforms. Why should China be called on to compensate for adjustments that Europe and Japan are unwilling to undertake? "

Yes, the reactionary "reforms" comprised under the misnomered terms "neoliberalism" and "globalization" are at the crux of the extreme financial distortions, but Roachs' ideological blinders prevent him from seeing this connection.

So, Roach can't see that it is precisely to the extent that Europe and Japan have _not_ enacted "reform" that they have remained "wealthy" (which does not mean they aren't trying to 'reform' - they certainly are, but more slowly), which in turn enables them, precisely, to shoulder more of the burden of the dislocations. The US, on the other hand, as the epicenter and originator of the economic reaction, is predictably also the source of the global financial imbalances, as well as the locus for the concentration of the most extreme financial contradictions. It also follows that the more "progress" "reform", makes in Europe and Japan, the less able will they be to maintaind the burden, resultin in even more generalized financial instability.

The result is that Roach can see no "solution" to the "global labor arbitrage" problem, meaning that even if there is a "soft" resolution of the financial imbalances via gradual dollar depreciation, there won't be much of a productive, well-paying jobs recovery.

But what else would one expect from a deeply (and I do mean DEEPLY, DEEPLY) reactionay political economics that would have made Hjalmar Schacht - the first Economics Minister in the early years of the Nazi regime - proud. Schacht and Nazi military financial Keynesianism was the real forerunner and model for "neoliberalism", which is why this term is a complete misnomer. There is nothing "liberal" about it at all - Schact and Nazi economics, which is best described as the attempt to always ride the crest of the swelling chaos of capitalism, rather than to attempt a "resolution" - were the true pioneers of our own time.

So Doug ought to check his Keynesian proclivities. It's not going to be the New Deal for the US this time, but instead the highway to fascist hell.

-Brad

joanna bujes wrote:

> [...]
offshoring.

-- /**********************************************************************/ Brad Mayer Technical Support Engineer, DPG CIS Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Sun Developer Platforms Group Home Office: (510) 522-1928 Direct: (650) 786-4884 Fax: (650) 786-8858 Email: bradley.mayer at sun.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /***********************************************************************/